Also known as shakshuka, this is my go-to dish whenever I crave something savoury for breakfast. While the original recipe for this Middle Eastern dish calls for tomato paste, we’ve decided to omit it since it has enough flavour thanks to the juicy tomatoes and onions. Technically, my husband is the one who cooks this most (okay, ALL) of the time, but here’s the recipe if you’d like to try this out.
Baked Eggs with Tomatoes & Bell Pepper
1 handful of spinach (or kale)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 white onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
Pinch of black pepper & sea salt
- Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat
- Add in diced onion & cook until translucent before
- Add in bell peppers and continue cooking for about 2 minutes
- Pour in the tomatoes, mashing them until it becomes a sauce-like consistency
- Taste and adjust your seasonings accordingly (add cayenne pepper if you prefer it spicy)
- Transfer the sauce mixture into a ramekin and make 2 divots with a spoon
- Carefully crack eggs into the divots, and bake in a preheated oven (17°C) for 10 minutes.
- Remove and serve with 1 whole wheat toast